Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Manga Review: So Cute It Hurts!!, Volume 2, by Go Ikeyamada



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: August 4, 2015
Volumes: 12+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Kobayashi Mitsuru and Kobayashi Megumi are twin brother and sister, with identical faces but radically different personalities: while Mitsuru is a confident charmer who wins the hearts of dozens of girls, Megumi is an average otaku who is in love with a virtual hero. Yet, the two's lives start to turn upside down after Mitsuru and Megumi switch roles...

A complicated love story starts!

Review:

I will say that some of the humor is still too over-the-top for me. The way Megumu exaggerates in her thoughts and freaks out, Mitsuru’s ego, the use of text speak at times. I get that it’s purposeful, but it still doesn’t quite work for me.
We find out more about Aoi in this volume, a new problem that he has, as well as seeing what’s between him and Shino. We get to see the twins together and how similar they really are. The siblings falling for other siblings is an interesting thing to throw in.
The focus is more on Aoi and Megumu here, which I’m all right with. They’re more interesting to me right now. And I will say that the sexual tension between them is ridiculous. There’s some between Mitsuru and Shino, but not nearly at the same level. The way Megumu looks at Aoi with clearly loving eyes, even Aoi is falling for it, despite believing she’s a boy. Megumu doesn’t even think to hide it.
Which is to say that it shouldn’t be surprising when Megumu’s big reveal happens, even though I still wasn’t expecting it to happen so fast. I wasn’t expecting Mitsuru’s, either, but for a different reason. This twist does have me more interested, though, and impressed that it didn’t take very long.
I’m also impressed that this isn’t shying from the cross-dressing aspect. The couples are pretending to be the same sex, but that doesn’t stop the sexual tension rising from both sides, or others from thinking they might be gay. And it’s not really shamed or avoided—I love that.
I was surprised with this volume; the first half didn't pull me in, but the second half had me newly excited. Now I’m looking forward to the next one.



A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, and Erik Jansen from MediaLab PR. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment