Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

Manga Review: First Love Monster, Volume 1, by Akira Hiyoshimaru



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: July 21, 2015
Volumes: 4+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

When you find out who I really am...if you can still say you like me, then I'll be your boyfriend.
When fifteen-year-old Kaho Nikaidou leaves her sheltered home to start life anew in Tokyo, the last thing she expects is to nearly get hit by a truck! Saved in the nick of time by a handsome stranger, Kaho falls head over heels for him and boldly confesses her feelings. The handsome object of Kaho's affection agrees to go out with her, but her newfound bliss is short lived when it turns out that her new boyfriend...is a fifth grader?!

Review:

I really have no idea how to feel about this book.
I went in wary, with the age difference problem. But I was hopeful that either it wouldn’t make me uncomfortable or it would be twisted in a different way. But it… didn’t, and it wasn’t. I was even trying to rationalize and relate it to MeruPuri, but that series pulled it off perfectly. This one didn’t.
Kaho is saved by a boy, Kanade, who looks like he could be eighteen, only to turn out that he’s in fifth grade. She confesses her love before she knows this, and is then suckered into being his girlfriend. She’s just moved into a new building, and the rest of her housemates are similarly odd—with a somewhat sadistic girl, her boyfriend who’s obsessed with cute girls, a super shy boy who hides his face, and an older boy who is a bit of jerk.
I tried not being uncomfortable, but Kanade is in fifth grade. And he acts like he’s in fifth grade, even if he doesn’t look it. And the fact that Kaho blushed and freaked out over him, even with her low self-esteem, bothered me. Then there’s Taga, who misleads Kaho only to try to force himself on her. The whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way. Plus, I didn’t even like Kaho to begin with.
The only good parts of the book were the other side characters. The side couple were quite entertaining and I thought they were cute; the shy boy seems like a sweetheart, and maybe even a good fit for Kaho. The art was pretty.
I don’t know if I’m going to continue this series. I was being hopeful about it, but I might just be uncomfortable enough to stop.

1 comment:

  1. Welp, it did not sound like a series that would not be creepy in general, so it makes sense that it doesn't execute in a non-creepy manner. You probably should make this your first and last look at the series.

    ReplyDelete