Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Manga Review: Noragami: Stray God, Volume 1, by Adachitoka



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: September 2, 2014
Volumes: 11+
Spoilers?: Not really.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Yato is a stray god. He doesn’t even have a shrine, not to mention worshipers! Hoping he’ll eventually raise enough money to build himself the lavish temple of his dreams, Yato accepts all kinds of jobs. Of course, he can’t afford to be picky; from finding lost kittens to helping a student overcome bullies, no job is too small for Yato, the god-for-hire! An eccentric story with a charming cast of characters!

Review:

I almost started the anime of this series, but then decided that I wanted to go in with a clean slate. I wanted to be surprised by whatever this book gave me. And I’m glad I did, just as I’m happy about how much I enjoyed it.
Yato a God, only he’s trying to become well-known. He loses his assistant, doesn’t have a home, and is very slowly earning money from the people who call him for help. Most people can’t see him unless they’re desperate, nor can they see the ghosts and demons he gets rid of. Then he meets Hiyori, a school girl whose spirit keeps getting separated from her body, and ends up trying to help Yato (trying because Yato doesn’t really want her to).
I’m glad I didn’t really know what I was getting when I started this, because I liked it being a surprise. I think it made it easier to enjoy it. And I really liked this, and am really excited to see what happens next. We met a new character at the end of the book, said goodbye to two characters at the beginning of the book. Yato is humorous, and I really like Hiyori. She’s new to the world of demons, and freaking out a bit. The way she keeps losing her body is hilarious.
I can already tell that I’m going to enjoy the humor in this series, and I’m already liking the characters. The artwork is very pretty, as well. I can’t wait to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment