Pages

Monday, September 19, 2016

Manga Review: One-Punch Man, Volume 8, by ONE and Yusuke Murata



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shonen Jump (VIZ Media)
Release Date: September 6, 2016
Spoilers?: Some.
Volume: 1.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Nothing about Saitama passes the eyeball test when it comes to superheroes, from his lifeless expression to his bald head to his unimpressive physique. However, this average-looking guy has a not-so-average problem-he just can't seem to find an opponent strong enough to take on!

Class-S hero King is known as the strongest man on earth. Even monsters fear him. But when a mysterious organization sends an assassin after him, the shocking truth about King is revealed!

Review:

I haven’t read any of this series since volume one, though I should probably catch up. Even though I missed so much, and I do feel like I should read more to get to know the characters better, I had an easy time getting into this volume.
We get to know King in this volume; he’s a very high level hero, all the villains are afraid of him and the citizens love him. Only, we find out that he actually has no idea how to fight and he loves girly video games. King has instead had amazing luck with looking like the hero in odd situations, when someone else has actually been inadvertently doing all the work.
I liked seeing King and Saitama interacting. I also enjoy seeing Saitama and his predecessor Genos, and how Genos tries to learn and fight without Saitama’s help. I think a lot of this would have been even more fun, had I been following the series more.
The volume ends with an interesting lead-in of a bunch of villains possibly going to cause chaos or do good things. Then there are a few extras, and those are a lot of fun.
This is a really fun series, funnier than I expect it to be, and I definitely want to get caught up with it at some point.

 A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment