Pages

Monday, September 12, 2016

Manga Review: Rin-Ne, Volume 21, by Rumiko Takahashi



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Shonen Sunday (VIZ Media)
Release Date: July 2016
Volumes: 31+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 20. 22.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Ever since a strange encounter when she was a child, Sakura Mamiya has had the power to see ghosts. Now in high school, she just wishes the ghosts would leave her alone! When her mysterious classmate Rinne Rokudo shows up, Sakura finds herself following him into the amazing world between life and death!

The sun is shining and the spirits are out! Rinne, Sakura and friends keep busy over the summer. Once school’s back in session, a mysterious new teacher finds Rinne’s otherworldly knowledge very helpful…

Review:

I surprisingly don’t feel like I’m missing anything from not reading the previous books in this series, and also like I don’t even need to read them to get more attached to the characters. All of the chapters are so episodic that it doesn’t really feel like it matters.
They are surprisingly enjoyable at times, though. And it kind of makes me want to actually read the Inuyasha volumes, because I was a fan of that series.
There’s a lot of one-shot chapters, nothing too exciting. And then we meet a witch, who’s using a crystal ball that Rinne wants for a reward. She’s an interesting character, who can see the future at times, and I like the banter. There’s some competitions, the couple cures a few characters, including a girl haunted by a scarecrow she tried to fix.
This is an all right series to me, and I don’t mind reading the random volumes I receive, but I don't really plan on collecting the rest.

A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment