Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Review: My Girlfriend's a Geek (Novel, V2.0) by Pentabu


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Publisher: Yen Press
Spoilers?: Very light.
Volumes: 2

Goodreads Synopsis:

It was two years ago that I met Y-ko.
She was my boss at the job I was working at the time.
I was a student, and I had no idea what I was doing.
After a time, we ended up becoming boyfriend and girlfriend.
It turned out she was a "fujoshi."
Not only that, but a "hidden fujoshi," one who didn't show any inkling of the sort around other people...
But as a general rule, she never hides it around me.
In fact...
It seems more like she's intent on dragging me down that path with her.
...And I'll be honest.
It's slowly but surely seeping into me.

Review:

This one was just as good as the first.
I still really enjoy the main characters, they’re really entertaining and cute together.
In this book, there’s a lot of the same type of things happening, with Y-ko pushing Sebas into everything anime/manga, which I still think is funny. Also, Y-ko went to meet Sebas’ parents, and Sebas proposed. Both of which were really adorable. And there were a couple of really sweet, actually romantic scenes that stuck out to me, one in which the phrase ‘I love you’ is used, and the other where he proposes.
I just find the characters really fun to watch/read. Y-ko is the type that kind of ignores, or tries to push away, romantic things, emotional things, and focuses a lot on her anime/manga. And Sebas doesn’t really mind, he loves her for it. It’s obvious that they love each other, in my opinion. And it’s just so sweet to see.
I think one of the reasons I have really warm feelings for this series, the novels in particular, is because it reminds me of my trip to Japan. I read the first one while I was there, and some things they do remind me of things I saw and did while there, and it just gives me warm feelings inside now.
For some reason, the writing took me a bit to get back into. It’s still very exaggerated, but I got used to it. It’s told in journal/blog style, and it’s really easy to get through. A very fast read, especially because it’s such a short book.
I simply enjoyed this series, and am a bit sad for it to be all over, but not crushed, although it might be one that I have to skim through every once in a while.

Sidenote: I love the covers. I didn’t think there was much of a difference between this one and the first until I really looked at it, and that just made me love it even more. The first one had the boys’ hand on top with white handcuffs, and this one has the girls’ on top with white handcuffs and the moving and color change of the text, but she also has a ring on her finger. It’s so simple and fitting, and I just find it adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment