Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Manga Review: Oresama Teacher, Volume 6, by Izumi Tsubaki


Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: VIZ Media (Shojo Beat)
Volumes: 14+

Goodreads Synopsis:

Reads R to L (Japanese Style). The student council's very own ninja, Shinobu Yui, is set on destroying Mafuyu's club. He thinks he can take it down by taking on Mafuyu, but he didn't count on the power of her alter ego, Super Bun! Besides, Mafuyu really has better things to do with her time, like attempting to be a regular high schooler and beating the secrets out of her teacher, Mr. Saeki.

Review:

I really like this series, but it’s just… kind of slow. And isn’t leaving too big of an impression, after I’ve finished each volume. I like the characters, it’s really funny. But after I’ve finished each volume, the specific things from that book just doesn’t stay with me. I’m not sure why, and this is really kind of bothering me. Especially because I really do like this series.
I actually read this one a couple weeks ago, which might be part of why it’s not so fresh in my mind, but it shouldn’t be as much of a blank as it is.
Anyway, from what I remember, this volume was quite a bit more serious than previously, which was surprisingly nice. It had a lot of focus on the Public Morals Club and the Student Council. The student council does not like the public morals club, and so they are having a bit of a rivalry at the moment. This lasts for a bit, then Mafuyu has some miscommunication/troubles with Hayasaka and Mr. Saeki. She tries hanging out with some girls, which is something she’s always wanted to do and she enjoys, but decides she’d rather have Hayasaka’s company. And so they make up, and she decides to have a talk with Mr. Saeki (Takaomi? I haven’t decided what I want to call him yet).
That’s when, in the last chapter, we get a bit of a flashback and see that Saeki is close with his Grandfather. She chases him for a bit, then they have a talk, and we get some insight into the bet he made with the principal. Turns out, the school is what he wants, because it was important to his Grandfather.
At the end of the volume, we get some comic strips with Shinobu, the member from the student council that Mafuyu was ‘fighting’. They’re funny, as they usually are, I just don’t think I know the characters they focus on enough. I know enough about Shinobu, but sometimes they show characters we saw for maybe a chapter, and so I have almost no clue who they’re showing me is.
Similarly with how a lot of stuff just erases from my mind about each book: there’s just such a skip around, with funny chapters, but ones that have little to do with the main story and with characters that I have little recollection of; a lot of subplot, which I really don't mind. And, I don’t know if there is in later or were in earlier volumes, but there wasn’t a ‘previously on’ or character descriptions at the beginning of this book, which is not good, because I have such a hard time remembering all of the character’s names.
Ah, well, whatever. I have the next volume, so I plan on reading it soon, and not waiting too long to review it as well. See you then, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment