Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Manga Review: Attack on Titan, Volume 3, by Hajime Isayama



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Publish Date: December, 2012
Volumes: 12+
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

TRAITOR

The last thing Eren remembers before blacking out, a Titan had bitten off his arm and leg and was getting ready to eat him alive. Much to his surprise he wakes up without a scratch on him, with a crowd of angry soldiers screaming for his blood. What strange new power has he awakened, and what will happen when the boy devoted to destroying the Titans becomes one himself?

Includes special extras after the story!

Review:

Before I get to the main plot of this book, I’m going to mention the new character and background of the world that we’re getting. We met Captain Levi, a majorly impressive fighter, who works very hard and is good to his companions. I’m assuming he’s going to take a bigger part later, and I’m interested in what’ll happen when he meets Mikasa and Eren. Aside from that, we’re still getting to know little pieces of the world, how the titans work, how the walls are set up and why they’re set up that way, how it started and what’s beyond it. It’s all just so intriguing to me, and I’m loving figuring it all out. I think this is close to the first time that I’ve ever gotten so wrapped up in just the world of a story, and I’m really enjoying it. I’m also enjoying the characters a lot, but the world alone is making me want to pick up the spin-offs when they’re released, which is something I don’t do very often.
Now, the main plot line, with Eren and Mikasa and Armin. I think I’m going to keep my overviews very short, because I don’t want to spoil anything that happens. It’s all such a surprise to me, and I want it to stay that way for everyone else who hasn’t read it.
I’m completely surprised by what’s happening with Eren, and pretty dumbfounded by the logistics of it. I just don’t understand right now, I was not expecting this, and I really want to know more. It’s not very good, at the moment, but it opens up so many more questions…
I love Mikasa still. She’s my favorite character, she’s so awesome, and I’m loving getting to know her. Armin is smart, it seems, but he’s still rather weak. It seems like he’s growing already, though, and it’s good that Eren and Mikasa are helping him so much.
I’m also really ashamed of humanity in this book. The people are just horrible. No one wants to fight, they all just want to run away and kill themselves and fight with each other. It’s horrible. They should be working together. There should have been some kind of fighting/training regimen put in at the start of this, so that the humans actually know how to take care of themselves, because they’re all just useless. It’s ridiculous and it’s really bothering me.
I’m so glad I picked up this series, and I’m hoping to catch up quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment