Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Manga Review: Midnight Secretary, Volume 2, by Tomu Ohmi



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Publish Date: November, 2013
Volumes: 7
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Kaya thought she had found the perfect job when she became the private secretary of Kyouhei Touma - the director of a tableware company of the same name. Kyouhei is a capable director, but his arrogance and sluttish behavior are almost legendary. Kaya is doing her best to prove that she is capable in her work, but one night, by accident, she discovers his secret... of him being a vampire!

Review:

I am really enjoying this series. It’s so much better than I thought it’d be.
Kaya is getting so caught up in her feelings for Kyohei. She doesn’t take forever to realize it, though, which I appreciated. And then she doesn’t take forever to do something about it, either. It’s so refreshing seeing a female character doing something about her feelings, not hiding from them. On the other hand Kyohei is running from his, in total denial. And while I’m sure that there’s still going to be drama related to it, it seems like Kaya is realizing how he feels, as well. It’s a definite step in the right direction, and I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. Also, there was some actual smut in this volume, and that was nice.
Then there’s the whole work part of the story, and how Kaya focuses on her job, is good at it, and is firm about doing it. That’s so nice to see, and I really like that Kaya doesn’t waver about any of it, because it’s important to her, and she will win that argument against Kyohei.
Their whole characters and dynamic is refreshing to me, I guess, since I see so much more of the weak, malleable heroine. There’s still quite a bit to explore in this series, I think, including their pasts and their relationship developing even more.
I’m looking forward to the next volume, and am enjoying having the releases bimonthly a whole lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment