Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Novel Review: Daylighters (The Morganville Vampires, #15) by Rachel Caine



Rating (Out of 5): ~4-4.5
Genre: YA/NA Paranormal Romance
Publisher: New American Library (Penguin)
Publish Date: November 5th, 2013
Spoilers?: No.
Buy it here: Amazon. Barnes and Noble. Book Depository. Powells.
Teaser Tuesday. Wishlist Thursday.

Goodreads Synopsis:

While Morganville, Texas, is often a troubled town, Claire Danvers and her friends are looking forward to coming home. But the Morganville they return to isn’t the one they know; it’s become a different place—a deadly one…

Something drastic has happened in Morganville while Claire and her friends were away. The town looks cleaner and happier than they’ve ever seen it before, but when their incoming group is arrested and separated—vampires from humans—they realize that the changes definitely aren’t for the better.

It seems that an organization called the Daylight Foundation has offered the population of Morganville something they’ve never had: hope of a vampire-free future. And while it sounds like salvation—even for the vampires themselves—the truth is far more sinister and deadly.

Now, Claire, Shane and Eve need to find a way to break their friends out of Daylighter custody, before the vampires of Morganville meet their untimely end


Quotes:

  • "'Because no matter what any of you have done, you haven’t all done it. Because it’s not right to judge a class of people by the actions of one, or a few. That’s not justice. It’s prejudice, and I don’t like it. Justice means judging each person individually.’” (Hardback, pg. 180)

What Will I Miss?:
Everything. More specifically:
  • Claire. I love her. She's smart, strong. She's one of my absolute favorite heroines, and I will definitely miss her.
  • Shane. And Claire and Shane. I like him, and I love them together. They're possibly an OTP for me, which is weird, but I really love them that much. Their chemistry, their growing, their progress. I am really going to miss them.
  • Myrnin. He is one of my absolute favorite characters in this series; he's awesome, I love how odd he is and how oblivious he is about it. I love his relationship with Claire. I will definitely miss him, as well.
  • I'll also miss the town and the vampires, Michael and Eve, all of the relationships and how they all grew together, all of the problems they got into. But the first three are what/who I'll miss most.

The Cover:

I don't really have much to say about this cover--which is to say that I'm not a huge fan of it, but I don't hate it. The covers for this series have pretty much nothing to do with the books, the people barely ever resemble the characters. They're boring, have little to do with the books, don't inspire much of any reaction from me at all. I generally don't like having some plain person's face on my books, especially when they're so boring, which these ones are. The font for the title and author isn't even that great or eye-catching. So, yea, it could definitely be better.
 
Review:

I went into this book a little wary, but mostly optimistic and excited, with a little dread because this was the end. And all of those feelings pulled off, really.
Some serious stuff happened with the town, some really messed up stuff, some really good stuff, all which is to be expected of this series, really. And I really loved it. I know that some people were growing wary and annoyed with the series, some people had already stopped reading, and I did agree that the series needed to end, but I still love this series, unabashedly, unashamed.
Some very needed stuff happened in this book, and Claire’s conflict with it all was very understandable. Something happened with Shane that was kind of horrible. Something bad happened to Amelie. Some other stuff happened to Michael and Eve. All kinds of things. All needed. All very good and exciting. And then the ending came much too soon for me. But I must say that I’m very satisfied with the ending, I really love what happened, it was so sweet and cute and fitting. It didn’t even take me time to get used to it, either, which was nice. 
It kind of seems like Caine was saying sending some messages, one of which was about humans in general, how we can try to ignore the bad things in the world, pretend they're not happening because they're not in front of us, along with a couple others. I'm not sure how I feel about those things, some of them I agree with but some of them that I think either weren't needed or were pushed a little too hard. I don't want to get too into that, though.
I’m sad that the series is over, I’ll definitely miss it, but I will also definitely be re-reading it (as this is one of my top re-read series). I plan to read future books by Caine, although I’m a little wary of her next YA book (because I’m not a fan of Romeo and Juliet), but I will now have to read her adult Weather Warden series, of which I’ve already read the first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment