Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Novel Review: Catching Jordan (Hundred Oaks, #1) by Miranda Kenneally



Rating (Out of 5): ~2.5
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publish Date: December, 2011
Spoilers?: Some, Minor.

Goodreads Synopsis:

One of the boys

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though--she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?

Something Specific:
Quotes:
  • "In all actuality, she’s probably giving him a play-by-play account of some romance novel where some chick is in love with a boy who’s really a werewolf, and a vampire who’s really a dragon with enormous wings, and a handsome guy who’s really a vampire.” (Paperback, pg. 41) Where is this book?
  • "'You know what I think about dreams?’ Ty smiles slightly. ‘What?’ ‘That if you spend too much time dreaming, you’ll stop actually doing. And when you actually do stuff, there’s a good chance things will work out. We make things happen by attacking, not by sitting around dreaming.’” (Pg. 95)
  • "'When we’re hooking up, it seems like we have lots to talk about, but maybe that’s just because we’re too busy kissing. This lack of conversation, this isn’t what love is supposed to be like, right? But what happens when you don’t find that right person? Do you just spend the rest of your life in a relationship where the conversation isn’t great, everything isn’t perfect, but it is nice and sweet?” (Pg. 229) “And maybe some people accept that, settle for that, but I don’t want to.” (Pg. 233)
  • "...saying that from one to ten, I’m at a six on the pain scale. I don’t even know what the hell that scale is supposed to mean. What does ten represent? Getting your head chopped off? Is one a paper cut?” (Pg. 251)

The Cover:

This cover is alright, and represents the book pretty well. It makes it look like a light-hearted, cute story, and it's more angsty than that, but still. It's not hugely embarrassing, so that's nice, I guess.

Review:

I was giving this series/Kenneally another chance with this book, and it’s still possible I’ll read one of her later books, but for now I’m giving her a break. This one was just very meh and boring and very much not for me. Which sucks, ‘cause I was really hoping to like her books.
I like the premise. Jordan plays football with the boys, she tries her best to be tough, and doesn’t like it when a new boy comes in and tries to take her spot. But she also kind of likes him, and they start going out. But they’re obviously not really working, and besides, she’s got her best guy friend, Henry, who likes her.
One thing, to start with, that bothers me: how the synopsis on the books are so misleading. Maybe they’re better for the later books, but for this one, I went in thinking she’d get a happy ending with the new boy. But he’s not the main boy, he’s not even the better boy, in comparison to Henry. In the second book, Stealing Parker, I went in expecting a nice teacher-student romance, but instead got a creep teacher and a romance with a classmate. If I didn’t go in with such different expectations, maybe I wouldn’t mind so much. But those misleading descriptions just don’t work for me here.
Anyway. I didn’t like Jordan. She’s dumb with her going after Tyler, settling for him, when who she really wants is Henry. Then her whole trying to stay tough for her teammates annoyed me a whole lot. I didn’t see why she didn’t think she could have a boyfriend, or be emotional around them, as long as she stayed in control during games and practice. Especially when she got so defensive in front of them, and yet was crying all the time, to a really annoying point. I just didn’t like her, I guess.
Then there was the whole problem with girls thing. Almost all of the girls that Jordan meets are made to seem like vapid, man-lusting, clingy and dumb cheerleaders. And I understand that maybe it’s just Jordan who thinks this way, but I noticed a similar attitude in Stealing Parker, and it just drove me nuts. It was just such a shallow, one-dimensional way of looking at people, and it annoyed me.
Another thing I didn’t like was the writing. I think it’s too tell and not show, but overall it just didn’t connect with me. It’s boring and the emotions didn’t show through well enough for me. It didn’t keep me interested at all.
I liked some of the boys, and I did like Henry, even if he was really dumb at one point. The whole story was too dumbly emotional and angsty and annoying for me. I didn’t like it, and I was glad when it was finished.
It’s possible I’ll pick another Kenneally book up, but it’ll be a while, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment