Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

Manga Review: Black Butler, Volume 17, by Yana Toboso



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: July 22, 2014
Volumes: 19+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 16. 18

Goodreads Synopsis:

Following the outcome of the annual cricket tourney and due in no small part to Sebastian, his uncommon butler, Earl Ciel Phantomhive has earned a seat at the Midnight Tea Party hosted by Weston's enigmatic headmaster. As moon-pale petals bloom on the lapels of the students who have been granted a place at the Midnight Tea Party, the man who holds all authority at the school reveals himself to his guests. Will his appearance shed light on the fate of the missing students,or conceal the path to truth in yet more darkness?

Review:

I just love this series. It’s just plain enjoyable, no matter what’s happening. And the twists are just lovely.
Most of this volume contained the rest of the cricket arch. I will say I’m glad the game is over, because I’m not a sports person, but it was still an enjoyable arch to read, even if I still have no idea how the game really works. The bonus chapter at the end, where Toboso talks about her researching cricket, was also very entertaining, though.
During the reprieve from cricket, and the celebration, though, I had to admire the artwork. Toboso does perfect stills like perfect actual pictures. Capturing the moment someone falls or laughs or dances. There were a couple pages of this, and they were just really pretty.
Then we get to a big momentous reveal in the case of the missing boys. It ends up being the continuation (or spin-off, maybe) of an earlier case, which I wasn’t expecting. I don’t know why, but I thought we were moving onto something completely new--not that I'm disappointed.
Still, the cliffhanger was rather exciting. I’m still not sure what’s going on (and while Sebastian seems to know, I don’t think Ciel does), but I definitely look forward to seeing how it wraps up in the next volume (assuming it doesn’t continue into the one after that). And I like the character that showed up, although I’m wary of what he brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment