Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Manga Review: Azumanga Daioh, Omnibus, by Kiyohiko Azuma



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Yen Press (Previously ADV Manga)
Release Date: 2009
Volumes: 4
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

The best high school stories are simultaneously funny, warm, and endearing - but most importantly, the characters come alive on the page. Get to know the girls who set a new standard for the high school experience! Sakaki - strong and silent with a soft and fuzzy center
Chiyo - a towering intellect wrapped in a ten-year-old package
Tomo - The Mouth
Yomi - should stop eating if she wants to lose weight
Osaka - well, she's...different The original phenomenon from Kiyohiko Azuma, beloved creator of YOTSUBA&!, is collected in this deluxe edition and is an absolute necessity for any manga enthusiast's library!

Review:

I’d read some of this series, and seen some of the anime, and really enjoyed it but never got around to finishing the series. My local bookstore had the omnibus in, though, so I went ahead and got it. And I’m glad that I did, both so I got to finish the series, and because now I have a nice big, complete edition on my shelf.
This is a really cute series. It’s funny, really hilarious in some parts. This is mostly straight-up comedy, really. There’s a very nice, sweet ending. The story focuses on really good, rounded characters that are easy to enjoy and get to know. The series consists of half-page comic strips, so it moves along really well, and they’re all very short bursts of hilarity. There’s no big plot or action or plot twists; it’s all just joke after joke, but it flows really well, and sometimes all you need is something funny.
It’s a nice little reprieve, I’m glad I finished it, and I would recommend it.
Also, I didn’t know that this is the author of Yotsuba&! , which I have also read a couple volumes of and enjoyed, so now I might have to go pick up a few volumes of that when I get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment