Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Novel Review: Sweet as Sugar, Hot as Spice (Farrel Sisters, #3) by Kimberly Raye



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Warner Forever (Warner Books)
Release Date: 2005
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

SWEET AS SUGAR

As owner and operator of Sugar & Spice Sinema, Eve Farrel creates red-hot how-to videos that help couples go from mild to wild. But Eve herself is single-and her famous feminist mother is determined to keep her that way. The only way Eve can get her mom off her back is to do the unthinkable-like get married.


HOT AS SPICE

Linc Adams is a bad-boy NASCAR driver whose love life is even faster than his car. The last thing he wants is to follow in his father's footsteps and run for mayor of his North Carolina town. Hoping to blow his electoral chances, he agrees to marry Eve. Surely, her knockout looks and steamy career will shock conservative voters! But Linc's in for a shock himself on his wedding night. This fast-track ladies' man is about to learn a trick or two about lovemaking...while Eve is about to learn something new about love.

The Cover:

I actually rather like this cover. I think it's cute, eye-catching, and I like that it doesn't have a half-naked, faceless man on the front. I don't think that the cover has anything to do with the contents of the book, and that's kind of a major fault, but oh well.

Quotes:

  • "Lasting relationships weren’t built on a flimsy piece of paper but a solid foundation of shared interests, mutual respect, and great sex.” (Mass Market Paperback, pg. 3)
  • "'Luck doesn’t just happen. It’s made. You decide what you want and you go after it.’” (Pg. 102)

Review:

This was a pretty average, but good book.
I liked the characters, and really enjoyed getting to know them. I liked Eve and her outrageous self, and how Linc was trying to appear worse than he actually was. I liked their getting together, and how their relationship developed. At times I would have liked them to get together faster, but that’s okay. I particularly liked that they had problems in the sex department, that things didn’t go perfectly right from the start, and that they worked at it to make it better. I don’t think I’ve ever read that in a book before, and I really liked that. After they got better, though, they didn’t have any problems ever again with the sex, but that’s okay. I did like the ending, aside from how cheesy and showy it was, but that’s okay, too.
I liked Eve’s family, and might pick up another of Raye’s books to get to know them better. Although I didn’t really like how anti-man/marriage Eve’s mother was. That just went a little too far for me, but, you know, that’s okay.
This was a fun book, I enjoyed it. It had a couple problems, but overall it was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment