Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Manga Review: Gestalt, Volume 1, by Yun Kouga



Rating (Out of 5): ~3-3.5
Publisher: VIZ Media
Release Date: 2009
Volumes: 8
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

R to L (Japanese Style). After experiencing a crisis of faith, Father Olivier of the Valaria Order decides to go to G and find out the truth behind the legends. Olivier's journey is unsanctioned, and the head of the Order engages the dark elf Suzu to stop him. As he begins his quest, Olivier encounters Ouri, a young girl from the south who cannot speak. But Ouri reveals another side of herself when Suzu catches up to them!

Review:

This series has been advertised in the back of the Loveless volumes, because it’s by the same author, but I’d never even heard of the series until then. I’ve read two other series by Kouga, and really enjoyed both of them, so this was definitely added to my list.
I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was thinking that it would take a while for me to really get into this series. But this was a surprisingly easy volume to read.
We’re immediately thrown into the world, the mention of a god named G, and the statistics of the characters. This is set in a World of Warcraft like world, which I was a little surprised by. It wasn’t hard to follow, though, and the statistics and information for spells is given in an easy way to understand (much like in an actual game).
The characters are easy to like already, and the humor works. The way the fights and everything work seems a little cheesy cartoonish, but it work here.
There’s Olivier, a priest going off to find G (a god who betrayed the other gods and is thus feared) for a wish, who ends up being gifted a slave named Ouri. Ouri is somewhat of a mystery to most of the others, but I like her. I’m not quite sure what she’s doing, but I do like her. I like their relationship, too, and am looking forward to seeing how it develops.
There are a few other characters; like Suzu, who is working for Messiah to bring Olivier home, and a shazan they picked up. Then there are Ouri’s siblings, who she’s fighting to win something.
This was a pretty good first volume. I’m intrigued, and look forward to reading more.

No comments:

Post a Comment