Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Manga Review: Vampire Knight Limited Edition, Volume 19, by Matsuri Hino



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: October 14, 2014
Volumes: 19
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 18.

Goodreads Synopsis:

The final volume of Vampire Knight in a limited edition featuring an exclusive alternate cover and mini art book.

Review:



A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, and Erik Jansen from MediaLab PR. Thank you so, so much!


First of all, I’m going to say that the Limited Edition is very pretty. I’m not sure how it compares to the Standard Edition, since I haven't seen it yet, but I think it looks nice, and I don’t think I really mind that it stands out from the rest of the series on my shelf. The art book is also very pretty. It’s hardback, with the same cover as the Limited Edition, with full-color illustrations. I love it. Although Matsuri Hino is one of my favorite artists.
Now, to the actual volume.
I really had no idea what to expect with this. The entire plot has been a little confusing to me, and the little “previously on” at the beginning of the volume caught me up nicely. But I still didn’t know how it was going to go, if there was going to be a happy ending or not. It seemed likely, even, that there wouldn’t be.
There’s a lot going on here between Yuki, Kaname, and Zero. It’s an intense, unsuspecting love-triangle. And even if I started the series in full favor of Zero, I’ve been on Kaname’s side for a while now. And so I wasn’t really expecting this ending.
I can’t say I’m unhappy with how it ended—it could definitely be worse. But it wasn’t really what I wanted, I don’t think, either. I’m not even sure what I wanted. It was a satisfying ending, at least. It could have been better, it could have been worse—it was all right, and it made sense for the characters, I suppose.
I’m glad that there are still more extra books to come. There’s the novel, Fleeting Dreams, but also an extra chapter, a continuation of the manga, I believe about Zero. I will definitely be getting that, even if it’s digital only.

Other books:
Fleeting Dreams.
Box Set 1.
Box Set 2.
Official Fanbook.
Full Artbook

No comments:

Post a Comment