Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Manga Review: Maid-Sama!, Volume 3 & 4, by Hiro Fujiwara



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: December , 2015
Volumes: 18.
Spoilers?: Not really.
Volume: 1&2. 5&6.

Goodreads Synopsis:

As if being class president of a predominantly male high school wasn’t hard enough, Misaki Ayuzawa has a major secret—she works at a maid café after school! How is she supposed to keep her image of being ultra smart, strong and overachieving intact once school heartthrob Takumi Usui discovers her double life?!

When Café Maid Latte plans a slew of themed events like “Maid Rangers Day” and “Little Sister Day,” Misaki surprisingly struggles with playing the “little sister”! Later, more shenanigans erupt at the café… Misaki is usually up to any challenge, but how will she handle things when a pretty idol called Aoi decides to make Usui hers?

Review:

I am enjoying re-reading this series, and I will say that the translations are so much nicer this time around. While generally the wording is very similar, the pages are so much cleaner, and all the sfx are translated. I would prefer something new to be added, and I feel like I saw the anime too recently for it to be new to me, but I still prefer these editions to Tokyopop’s.
Some new antics happen in this volume—the school festival comes to a close, Misaki has to try to learn how to be a little sister for work, the maid cafe staff goes on vacation to a beach and throw a prompt maid café take over. A new character is introduced, and he’s so afraid of girls that he hypnotizes Misaki in an effort to ruin her good name and social standing to stop more girls from coming to school, and I like the revenge Misaki enacts on him.
This is a fun series. I do like Takumi a lot; he pushes Misaki, and he tries to protect her, even if she fights him on it. He stands beside her at all times, and I like how Misaki acts with him. The side characters are fun, and I do think Yukimura is a sweetheart.
Mostly, I’m excited for this series to catch up with where Tokyopop ended, so I can read some new stuff.


A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, for an honest review. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment