Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Manga Review: Void's Enigmatic Mansion, Volume 1, by HeeEun Kim and JiEun Ha



Rating (Out of 5): ~3-3.5
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: September 2014
Volumes: 5+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

What if your greatest wish could be granted?

The enigmatic mansion on 6 Roland Street belongs to one Mr. Void, who resides on the seventh floor. Unbeknownst to the rest of the tenants in Void’s mansion, their greatest wishes could be granted. And as the stories of the residents intertwine, they soon learn that what they desire is not always what is best…

Review:

I’m not sure what I expected with this book. About what I got, I guess?
Firstly, it’s beautiful. Ever since I first saw it in the bookstore, I’ve been curious. It’s a pretty slim volume, by a Korean artist, but it’s in full-color, and it’s so pretty! Korean stuff always has more of an ethereal feel to it, and the colors are so eye-catching.
We get a first little chapter, to give the idea for what we’re about to get into. And then we jump into the first characters’ story.
Mr. Staff stuffs animals as a side job, which is illegal. He takes pride in his masterpieces. But then someone hires him to stuff something else, and though he protests at first, Mr. Staff ends up giving his all for this one job.
That story was creepy as heck, and even I was surprised.
Then we move onto a poet, who’s trying to feed himself. His wish is also very dark, and a little crazy. He gets attracted to this working girl, but he also looks down on her. I have a feeling that something very bad, and possibly deserving, is in his future, and I’m intrigued to see where it goes.
I was surprised with this book. It’s definitely interesting. I’m not too sure where it’s going next, but I’m looking forward to reading the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment