Pages

Friday, January 29, 2016

Novel Review: Girl, Stolen by April Henry



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Genre: YA Suspense
Publisher: Square Fish (Macmillan)
Release Date: 2010
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:


Sixteen–year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her mom fills her prescription for antibiotics. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, their car is being stolen. Griffin hadn't meant to kidnap Cheyenne, but once his dad finds out that Cheyenne's father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes—now there's a reason to keep her. How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare? Because she's not only sick with pneumonia—she's also blind.


The Cover:

I really like both covers for this book. The one above is more subtle, without a model, but shows the same idea, with the crime scene tape, and I like that. I like the original cover more, though, because I like the tape over the mouth. They're both good, though.

Review:

I was impressed with the first book by Henry that I picked up, so I’ve been looking forward to this one in particular.
Cheyenne is blind, and sick, and ends up accidentally kidnapped when Griffin steals the car she’s resting in. Griffin freaks out, and when he takes her to his father, they end up actually kidnapping her for ransom when they find out who her parents are.
Cheyenne is in a bad spot, of course, but she does what she can. She knows how to handle being blind, how to find clues on her own, and she does what she’s able. Griffin, I feel bad for, because he’s stuck with a terrible father, too afraid to do anything against him. They’re both doing what they can in the terrible situation they’re in.
I will admit, though, that this wasn’t very exciting, on-the-edge-of-your-seat intense. I wish it was, but instead it was much more slow moving. The ending was good, and I’m happy with how it all worked out. I like what happened with Cheyenne and Griffin, but I also wish that there was more closure for them. I think that Henry likes making these open-ended endings, of which I am not a huge fan, but they’re okay.
I did enjoy this book, and I know it was her first one. I’m looking forward to reading her other ones still.

No comments:

Post a Comment