Pages

Friday, January 8, 2016

Novel Review: Stake That! (Blood Coven Vampire, #2) by Mari Mancusi



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Genre: YA Supernatural Romance
Publisher: Berkley (Penguin)
Release Date: 2006
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

All I want is to be a vampire. But nooo-I have to be Rayne MacDonald, Vampire Slayer....

Sisters. They'll swipe your clothes, your boyfriends, your destiny. But it wasn't exactly my twin Sunny's fault. Magnus, vampire hottie and coven leader, mistook her for me last month and bit her instead. Now they're doing the inter-species dating thing.

But back to me. Turns out that for every generation, there's a Vampire Slayer-and this time around, it just happens to be yours truly. My first mission: infiltrate a seedy vamp bar downtown and expose its vampire owner for purposely spreading a blood disease he created himself. A task almost harder than passing trig.

After going it alone once, I realize I need help. So Magnus sends his hot homey Jareth to go undercover with me. And let me just say I wouldn't mind going under the covers with him. Maybe fate doesn't bite after all...

The Cover:

I don't mind this cover. It's very '90's or early '00's, I think, which I also think is a bit fitting. It works well for the book and the writing style.

Review:

This was a fun book, more than I expected.
I read the first book in this series years ago, so long I barely remember it. I think I put off reading this one because it was a different main character, but I didn’t mind when I started reading.
It’s told in journal format, as Rayne updates her blog about her vampire-wannabe new-slayer life. She’s been made to be a vampire slayer, and she’s very much a teenager as she tells the world how unfair it is when all she wants is to be a vampire.
I would have enjoyed this more in high school, but I still thought it was fun, and it went by very fast. Rayne hunts vampires, learns about her new strength, and falls for a vampire she has to work with.
It was fun, plain and simple. Not very deep, not overly intense or surprising. I liked the ending to it a lot, and enjoyed reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment