Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Novel Review: Smart Girls Think Twice (Girls Do Or Don't, #4) by Cathie Linz



Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5 (can, maybe, up it to four)
Publisher: Penguin (Berkley Sensation)
Spoilers?: Somewhat Minor (gave away the, um, ending, which wasn't a surprise)

Goodreads Synopsis:

 Sociologist Emma Riley?s new research project depends on a sexy bartender who wants nothing to do with her project?and certainly nothing to do with Emma. Too bad she?s way too smart to ever take no for an answer.

Available on Amazon.

Review:

This is probably going to be a pretty short review, because I don’t have too much to say about this book. It was a really cute, sweet story, and I enjoyed it.
Getting into the book was easy; I liked the romance between Emma and Jake, and how it progressed. The ending for them was very sweet, if a bit cliché and predictable, but I can get over that. The epilogue was… I mean, it was sweet, but it kind of bothers me that for a lot of these types of stories, it’s not a happy ending unless the two characters get married. In this story, there was actually some time for the characters to get to know each other, time actually went by, but still not enough for me to be happy about them getting married so quickly. It’s just… I don’t think that there has to be marriage in order for there to be a happily ever after.
But whatever, I still liked the story.
As I said, I enjoyed the scenes between Emma and Jake, and there was even some nice sex, but not very much and that’s fine. I also liked the scenes between Emma and her family; I found those to be really entertaining, which was nice. My least favorite storyline was probably the one involving Jake, and that was only at the beginning, since it got better. Emma was sweet and, at times, fierce, and Jake was funny as well as sweet. Her family was fun and a bit pushy, and their small town was eccentric; I liked meeting all the different characters.
The story flowed rather well; it wasn’t a super-fast read, but it didn’t take very long, and overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was sweet and fun, a very light read.
When I got this book, I didn’t know that it was part of a series, but that doesn’t seem to matter too much, given that each book stars a different character. I do plan on reading more books by Linz, though.
Also, sidenote: I don't think the title, or the cover, portrays the novel very well. I mean, it made me think that the main character would have two different guys to choose from, but that wasn't the case. There was only ever one guy, really. I can't even think of another contender existing, so if there was, they were obviously very minor. I'm thinking the title maybe has to do with how the two fight and then she has to rethink if she wants to be with him, but I still don't think it fits very well. They could have thought of something better, even have gone with something even more cliche like 'Take a Chance On Me' (since this phrase was actually used in the make-up scene) or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment