Pages

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Manga Review: Yukarism, Volume 1, by Chika Shiomi



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: December 2, 2014
Volumes: 4
Spoilers?: No.
Buy it here: Amazon. Barnes and Noble. Book Depository. Powells. RightStuf.
Volume: 2

Goodreads Synopsis:

Yukari Kobayakawa, an accomplished author at the age of 17, writes with amazingly accurate details about historical Japan. It turns out he has the ability to travel back in time...to his past life as a renowned courtesan in the Edo period! As he goes back and forth between the past and present, he unravels the karmic relationship he has with his beautiful classmate Mahoro Tachibana... 

Review:

I’m already a fan of Shiomi from Rasetsu, so I’m already ready to love this series.
Mostly right now, though, I’m intrigued.
The entire reincarnation aspect I like, and I enjoy how the characters get a sense when they meet someone. It might seem a bit sudden, but I don’t mind that. Plus, since we get to see both times, I think it works out fine.
Yukari is a bit stuck inside his head, oblivious to everyone and thing around him. He’s just now learning about his past as a courtesan, and his curiosity takes it in stride. He’s pretty straight-faced about it. Mahoro is kind of adorable. I think she’s sweet, and her affection for Yukari is cute. I like her already, and am looking forward to seeing her develop, especially with the cliffhanger.
The artwork is pretty, though not overly done. I appreciate the characteristics for each person, and I’m enjoying how the story is set up and how it’s playing out.
I’m enjoying this already, and am looking forward to seeing how the storyline plays out, and how the characters develop.



A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, and Erik Jansen from MediaLab PR. Thank you so, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment