Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Manga Review: QQ Sweeper, Volume 1, by Kyousuke Motomi



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: October 6, 2015
Volumes: 3 (with sequel)
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Kyutaro Horikita, the tall, dark and handsome cleaning expert of Kurokado High, is about to meet a sleeping maiden at the school: transfer student Fumi Nishioka! Fumi’s going to learn how to rid the school of nasty spirits with Kyutaro’s help, and her heart will surprisingly be “cleansed” too…!

In the old campus of their school, a mysterious room has a door that beckons Fumi, even though she shouldn’t even be able to see it! Kyutaro goes in after her, but will he be able to save her before she gets devoured by otherworldly creatures?

Review:

Going into this, I was a little worried it would be really similar to Dengeki Daisy, given the description. But I’m surprised to say that, even with the similarities, it’s quite different. And even more fun than I expected.
Fumi has just transferred to a new school, after being thrown out all on her own. And somehow she stumbles upon the supernatural cleaning service that Kyutaro and the headmaster run.
Fumi is determined to find a rich prince charming, much like Cinderella. Even with that, though, she doesn’t intend to get in the way of true love, much like a potential suitor is already experiencing, and like what she thinks Kyutaro is stuck on. As soon as she sees that, she moves right along to a new possibility. I like how honest and kind this makes her, and I also like how trusting and close she grows to Kyutaro so quickly, even while not thinking of him as a romantic interest.
The plot seems to be growing thicker at the end of the volume, and I’m excited for more. I like the world she’s stumbled upon, what Kyutaro does and how determined she is to learn and help. The supernatural element is interesting, something I haven’t seen before in this way. I like that.
I do think that Motomi has gotten better, too. Her characterizing is better, and the humor is used in a more thoughtful way, but still exaggerated like in her other series. But there was also a lot of really thoughtful moments and clear scenes. I’m impressed.
This volume was more fun than I expected, and I can’t wait for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment