Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Manga Review: Library Wars: Love & War, Volume 7, by Kiiro Yumi and Hiro Arikawa



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: February, 2012
Volumes: 12+
Spoilers?: Nothing major.
Volume: 1. 6. 8.

Goodreads Synopsis:

In the near future, the federal government creates a committee to rid society of books it deems unsuitable. The libraries vow to protect their collections, and with the help of local governments, form a military group to defend themselves--the Library Forces!

Hikaru's big brother is working for the enemy, and he wants to reunite with Hikaru. Meanwhile, someone is posting negative reviews on the library's website, and Kasahara intends to find out who. Later, personal issues are set aside when the Library Forces find out about a book burning on their home turf!

Quote:

  •  "'Love is blind… Love is blinding.’”
Review:

I freaking love this series. My emotions are starting to just bubble over with my feelings for this series, and I’m starting to not even be able to anymore. I just can’t even. I don’t even understand how this series worked up to this level so quickly, but it did, because it’s so good, and I love it.
So there’s some starting drama with Tezuka’s older brother. Tezuka gets all tense, and Iku one-ups him rather nicely, literally smacking some sense into him. We get some idea of why Tezuka is so mad at his brother, but also that his brother does seem to actually want their relationship to be fixed. They need to have a serious talk, and they also need to explain more in depth what Tezuka’s brother is doing, because I didn’t really understand and I’m not sure if I was supposed to.
And then, during/after that, Iku gets into some trouble. It starts with this Tezuka’s roommate, Sunagawa, who starts writing mean reviews on the library’s website. Now, first of all, part of this made me uneasy because it seemed like everyone was angry that he was writing mean reviews in general (although maybe I just have an open wound from past problems), but then there was the fact that he was using the library’s website to post them. I don’t think they should have been so angry about the mean review part, because there’s nothing wrong with that (although Sunagawa seemed to like writing them simply to be the opposing team, but I don’t want to go into how he could possibly be symbolizing reviewers), but he shouldn’t have been using the library’s website. Because then he does relate his views to the library’s views, and that’s not okay, especially when he’s the only one posting reviews on there at all.
That whole issue kind of got me worked up, sorry.
But then the topic turned to book burning, which is when Iku got mixed in. They want to blame Sunagawa, and then he lists Iku as an accomplice. After that, she gets pulled into being interrogated, for days on end, I’m not even sure how long. And it’s horrible, and everyone starts ignoring her (not her friends, but everyone else she works with), and I feel so bad for Iku. Tezuka is also mixed up in it, but they’re pushing all of the attention on Iku for some reason.
At the same time, Dojo is being really sweet to her, comforting her, wanting her to rely on him, even as she tries to stay strong. Also, Iku got the hint that Dojo was in a similar situation to her at one point, and she heard a little about her “prince” and how he got in trouble. And it seems like she’s so close to finding out, they’re teasing us so badly, that the reveal must be coming soon. I really hope so.
And we’re left with a cliffhanger. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next volume, and I really hope it’s soon. 
Also, again, there were a couple of extras. There was one with Marie, and that was so cute and sweet. I just love Marie, and her relationship with Komaki is just perfect. There was also a short with Iku and her trouble sleeping that was rather entertaining. It’s just so apparent how much Iku relies and cares for Dojo, no matter how much she ignores it.

No comments:

Post a Comment