Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Manga Review: Strobe Edge, Volume 7, by Io Sakisaka



Rating (Out of 5): ~4.5
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: November, 2013
Volumes: 10
Spoilers?: Not really.
Volume: 1. 6. 8.

Goodreads Synopsis:

A heartwarming story about first love that’s one of the most hotly anticipated new shojo series among U.S. fans.What is love, anyway? Ninako Kinoshita’s friends tell her it’s one thing, but Ninako wonders what this mysterious feeling really is. When she meets Ren Ichinose, the handsome, enigmatic guy that all the girls worship, her life takes an unexpected turn. With just a few words and a smile, he changes her world...

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for teen audiences.

Review:

It’s been a few months since I last read a volume of Strobe Edge, and it reminded me how much I enjoy this series. This series is adorable, and hilarious, and cute, and sweet, and thoughtful, all at the same time. Moving from one to the other seamlessly, and I love it. I was grinning and laughing the entire time while reading this volume, it’s so freakin’ good.
Ninako and Ren’s relationship is still simmering. Neither of them thinking the other feels the same, but hanging out and talking mostly normally. There’s a lot of looks exchanged, though, and Ninako’s feelings are really starting to bubble over. I’m excited to see when they finally tell each other, and who does it first. I’m betting on Ninako, but Ren finally being upfront about it would be a nice change (and I do think he’s getting there).
I am really surprised by how much I’m liking Ren. Ando wasn’t in this volume much, and Ren might even be moving ahead in my mind. Ren is really maturing, and it’s really showing in how he’s reacting after the breakup.
There was also a lot of drama between Sayuri and Daiki in this volume. I wasn’t expecting it, and it was a bit angsty at one point, but it turned out really well. Those two are seriously adorable together. Daiki gets so happy when he sees her, it’s so sweet. I love them, seriously. And it seems like we might get to see some of the other minor-ish characters getting attention next, and I’m looking forward to that. Also, some real drama for Ren and Ninako (and probably Ando), oooh. 
This is probably one of my favorite series at this point, especially given how happy I get while reading it. I’m seriously loving it, and am really, really excited to get the next volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment