Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Novel Review: Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer



Rating (Out of 5): ~4.5
Genre: YA Sci-fi Fairytale Reletting
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends (Macmillan)
Release Date: February 4th, 2014
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

The Cover:

I love the cover. Completely and utterly love it. It's beautful, much like the others in the series, but I might even love this one most so far. The colors go so well together, I love the dark background in contract to the bright red, and the font for both the title and the author's name is lovely and fitting. It's eye-catching and beautiful.

Quotes:

  • "'For having such a limited social experience, you, my dear, are an excellent judge of character.’ ‘I don’t need experience. You can try to hide it behind your bad reputation and criminal escapades, but I can see the truth.’” (Hardback, pg. 243)
  • "'Oh. Um. In a constellation, the brightest star is called the alpha. I thought maybe you meant that she’s…like…your brightest star.’” (Pg. 419) I never knew this about the word alpha! It gives the word a whole new meaning. I love it.
  • "'Maybe there isn’t such a thing as fate. Maybe it’s just the opportunities we’re given, and what we do with them. I’m beginning to think that maybe great, epic romances don’t just happen. We have to make them ourselves.’” (Pg. 512)

Review:

I love this series, and I can’t believe how much better it gets with each book. It’s crazy. And I love it so very much.
I love Cress. She’s so much fun, with her imagination, and how she handled her isolation so well and smartly. I just love her. And then she meets Thorne, and I love her feelings toward him in the beginning, and then as they get to know each other, it gets even better. A little frustrating at the end, but I’m looking forward to seeing how that develops in the next book. Also, her relationship with Dr. Erland, and what happened with him near the end, just makes me want to cry.
I loved Thorne from the start, but we get to see a whole new side of him here, and he’s so much more now. Him with Cress is the sweetest thing, and I just want to fangirl all over the place. Him with Cinder is the best, too, because they’re such good friends. I love their friendship.
I still love Cinder. She’s so much fun; I love how gruff and hard-around-the-edges she can be. But her feelings for Kai are so great. I still love Kai, too. He’s so sweet, and wary in a smart way, but frustrating at times. Him with Cinder is the best. I really wasn’t expecting the ending, but am really happy with it, and very excited for the next book because of it.
There wasn’t too much with Scarlet this time, although we got a new development there that interests me. We met Winter, and I’m wary but also really intrigued by her. I feel bad for what she’s been through, and am interested in getting in her head to see how she actually handled it. The glimpse we got was odd, to say the least.
I feel really bad for Wolf, the poor thing. I’m really looking forward to the moment between him and Scarlet, though. Also, I feel like he and Cress could become really good friends, because they have similarities, and they seem like they should get along really well. 
The ending has me really, really excited for the next book. This series just keeps getting better, and I’m in love with it, and all of the characters. I could just fangirl over this series all day. I’m upset that I’ll have to wait so long, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment