Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Novel Review: Too Close for Comfort (Brothers & Sisters, #5) by Heidi Rice



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Harlequin Kiss
Release Date: January, 2013
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Up close, and way too personal!

Breaking and entering is hardly her style, but Iona MacCabe needs her passport back from her ex's motel room.

Jaded L.A. private investigator Zane Montoya is staking out a con man's motel room when this pretty Scottish girl gets seriously in the way. For her own safety, he'll keep her under his very close protection.

Except independent, willful Iona is not best pleased to be rescued--even by someone as sexy as blue-eyed, gorgeous Zane! And when he discovers just how innocent she really is, suddenly their scorching attraction feels even more dangerous.

Extra bonus: included is The Wedding Dress Diaries by Aimee Carson, the prequel to our fab new quartet!

The Cover:

I'm not sure how much the cover or the title really represents the book, but I do think it's cute. And it definitely shows that this is going to be a cute, lighthearted, romantic read, which is true.

Review:

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, but also by how short it seemed. It was good, but there just wasn’t enough.
I liked the characters, I liked their back-stories and how we got to see them grow. There was a small cop and non-romance aspect to the story, but that only last for the first quarter of the book, and I liked that the rest of it focused on the romance and relationship. That was refreshing, since most drag out those parts till the end for some big intense life-or-death situation. I liked getting to know the characters and the people around them, but I don’t think there was enough of that. We got to know the two main characters rather well, but saw very little of the other characters, and I would have liked those relationships expanded on and given some focus, like his mother's character, and her relationship with her dad. I don’t feel like I got to know anyone else very well, and that upsets me, because I liked what I saw.
I do know that this is part of a series, and so I hope to pick up the other books, because I want to know the other characters better, and I hope they have more to them. 
At the end of this book was a short story, a prequel to the series by multiple authors, The Wedding Season, was The Wedding Dress Diaries by Aimee Carson. I wasn't expecting much from this, wasn’t even sure if I would read it, but found that I really enjoyed it. It was about the brother of the bride, a guy who does not want to commit, and the best friend of the bride, who he remembers as a little kid who is all grown up now, who used to like him. This story was surprisingly well done, very cute and really good and short. I don’t know if I’ll pick up the next one, but this one was definitely nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment