Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Manga Review: ES: Eternal Sabbath, Volume 8, by Fuyumi Soryo



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Publisher: Del Rey
Release Date: 2008
Volumes: 8
Spoilers?: No.
Buy it here: Amazon. Barnes and Noble. (Out-of-Print)
Volume: 1. 7.

Goodreads Synopsis:

LAST BREATH

Isaac is dying–and he’s determined to take as many people with him as possible. This psychotic superbeing is using mind control to unleash chaos and destruction on Tokyo. Only Shuro, his clone brother, can stop him. This ultimate battle will be the end for some and a whole new beginning for others. . . .

Final volume of ES: Eternal Sabbath!

What Will I Miss?:

  • I will definitely miss the psychological aspect, mixed with the dark, violent parts of people. Soryo seems to like that element, and she does it really well. It's very interesting to see how that develops in this series.
  • I will also miss the way that she tells the story. Slowly, getting the characters to slowly get to know each other, and progress as people, and then make important decisions.

Review:

I started this series forever ago, back when it was still being published, and it took me a while to get those volumes and then finally finish it, because I couldn’t remember where I left off. And now I’m really glad that I got to it.
Firstly, this is a really fast series to read. It took me, at least, half the time to read one volume than it usually does. Which I think is both because there’re less words, and really short chapters. And that works really well for the type of story this is.
Second, I really enjoyed this series. The characters are great, the story is really dark and violent and interesting, and I love the psychological aspects. I didn't grow too attached to the characters, but I did like them. I’m not really sure what I think of the ending, though, since I was hoping/expecting something else, but this one works, too. It’s kind of sad, but also kind of fitting. 
I rather enjoyed this series, and am glad that I read it. And, given that Soryo is also the author of Mars (one of my absolute favorite series), I really hope that someone brings another of her series over here, possibly Kodansha. I know it’s been requested, and I hope someone decides to.

No comments:

Post a Comment