Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Novel Review: No Place to Run (KGI, #2) by Maya Banks



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Berkley Sensation (Penguin)
Release Date: 2010
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Sam Kelly was her first love.

The last person Sam Kelly expected to pull wounded from the lake was Sophie Lundgren. Once they shared a brief, intense affair while Sam was undercoverand then she vanished.She’s spent the last months on the run, knowing that any mistake would cost her life and that of her unborn child—Sam’s child. Now she’s resurfaced with a warning for Sam: this time, he’s the one in danger.

Now he’s her last chance.

Sam has too many questions to let her slip away again—like why she disappeared in the first place. This time he vows not to be seduced. But one look in her eyes, and the passion burns again, and Sam knows he’ll do anything to keep her and his child safe. However, Sophie’s dark past is more dangerous than he imagines, and the only way for either to survive it is to outrun it.

The Cover:

The cover for this book is just alright. It looks pretty average to me, very much like an adult romance with a cop-or-whatever plot line. It's not bad, but not particularly nice or stand out.

Quotes:

  • "'I think maybe you’re used to people not being very nice to you. Maybe it’s time to alter your expectations, hmm?’” (Hardback, pg. 137)
  • "Be a good man, have honor and integrity, protect those weaker than you, and never suffer injustice.” (Pg. 230) Generally good advice/morals for anyone.

Review:

This was one of Banks’ weaker books for me. It was just kind of slow, not as intense, and I didn’t really care as much for the characters.
I did care a little about the serious plot line, and it was interesting. I was a little interested in Sam and Sophie and Sophie’s background, and thus her plot. I did like Sam’s brothers, and am a little interested in reading some of the other books in this series.
The emotions just weren’t as strong or intense for me. The romance wasn’t that good, I didn’t feel as much for the characters as I would have liked. Sophie’s repeated statement of “my baby” got annoying. 
Overall this was a pretty average Banks book for me, sadly. I do intend to pick up another in the series, though, as well as more of her books in general. This was just a weaker one.

No comments:

Post a Comment