Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Manga Review: My Little Monster, Volume 1, by Robico



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: March 11th, 2014
Volumes: 12 (+1 special volume)
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 2.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Mizutani is a self-absorbed overachiever, concerned only with maintaining the highest grades in school. Haru is an impulsive short tempered brute, who scares everyone with his explosive bursts of violence. Haru gets suspended on the first day of school when he encounters some bullies harassing a student and dispatches the bullies with great bloody violence. Mizutani is tasked with delivering school materials to Haru who interprets this as an act of friendship and latches on to Mizutani, much to her dismay. And so begins a strange and potentially combustible relationship!

Review:

This volume did not start out as exciting as I thought it would, but it was still very good. It started a little slow, I guess.
I enjoy the pet dynamic in shojo manga, where the boy is adorable but violent, and the girl kind of tames him. It’s just an adorable dynamic, in my opinion. And I don’t think there are enough manga translated with it. Which is part of why I jumped right on board with this series, I’m sure.
Mizutani is the girl, a little disinterested in the people around her, instead wanting to focus only on her studies. Then there’s Yoshida, who’s skipping classes, wanting friends but a little naïve, and quick to violence. He quickly takes a liking to Mizutani, but then decides that maybe it’s just as friends, whereas Mizutani goes through the opposite reaction.
I particularly liked that they were both pretty upfront about their feelings. That rarely happens, in anything, and it was refreshing. It should definitely lead to some interesting developments in the coming volumes, and I’m looking forward to that.
We also got to meet some other characters, some who seem to become their friends, which is new for both Mizutani and Yoshida. I look forward to getting to know them, and seeing how that develops Mizutani and Yoshida’s characters. 
This was a bit of a slow volume, and I think very much a beginning to the series. I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes next, though. I'm liking the setup, the way the story is told, and the characters so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment