Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Manga Review: Strobe Edge, Volume 8, by Io Sakisaka



Rating (Out of 5): ~4.5
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: January, 2014
Volumes: 10
Spoilers?: Not really.
Volume: 1. 7. 9.

Goodreads Synopsis:

A heartwarming story about first love that’s one of the most hotly anticipated new shojo series among U.S. fans.What is love, anyway? Ninako Kinoshita’s friends tell her it’s one thing, but Ninako wonders what this mysterious feeling really is. When she meets Ren Ichinose, the handsome, enigmatic guy that all the girls worship, her life takes an unexpected turn. With just a few words and a smile, he changes her world...

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for teen audiences.

Review:

This is a fantastic series, really. I’m pretty sure it’s one of my favorites at this point, and one that I could re-read really easily (and have, for some scenes, already). I’m going to try to keep my fangirling to a smaller amount than previously, though. To read more fangirling, check out my previous reviews.
There a lot of decisions made in this volume, for a few characters. Ninako decides to do something, then is influenced not to. Ren decides to go for it. Ninako talks to Ando, and I feel so bad for the poor guy. He’s so sweet, but he’s just not it for Ninako, sadly.
I’m really enjoying the moments between Ninako and Ren. There’s a lot of eye-gazing between them. It’s sweet, and simmering, and so obvious that something is going to happen soon… I can’t wait. Plus, I’m thinking Ren might actually do something soon, and that’ll be exciting. Oh, and seeing Ren be more clumsy around Ninako is really funny, but also really good for the relationship; it’s letting her get to know a deeper part of him.
There’s some talk of Ren and Ando’s relationship in this volume. It’s obvious that there’s some distance between them, and I do think they need to talk, get back to being closer friends. But I do still think they’re kind of best friends. They get along so well, even if they do fight and compete. They’re really open with each other. And I think that, whatever happens at the end, they’re going to work it out.
Ninako also meets a new character in this volume, Toda. He doesn’t really have much to do with the mess that Ninako’s going through, and so he plays a really good part for her, someone for her to confide in. And I liked seeing him encourage and help her, and freak out when she cries. (But I just find it hilarious/adorable when a girl cries, and any guy around her freak out.) She really needed someone to push her to do what she needed, and she’s still conflicted, but she’s maturing over her issues. I like that.
The girl from Ren and Ando’s past is messing stuff up. I don’t really like her at this point, but I’m mostly waiting to see what she’s really up to, and what her reasoning is. Right now, she’s just ruining everything. 
Once again, this was a great volume. I’m loving this series. And I’m really excited to read the next one, see what all the misconceptions lead to.

No comments:

Post a Comment