Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Manga Review: Bond of Dreams, Bond of Love, Volume 2, by Yaya Sakuragi



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: SuBLime (VIZ Media)
Release Date: November, 2012
Volumes: 4
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for Mature audiences. Irritated by his own carnal impulses, Ryomei rejects Ao. But how will Ao react when he finds out Ryomei may have a marriage arrangement in the works? And what will Ryomei do when another boy who looks just like Ao appears on the scene? There’s a lot more to come in this crazy series of not-so-unrequited love!

Review:

I’m rather surprised that this is turning out to be a series where the main couple doesn’t actually get together until near the end of the series. That’s so rare in yaoi (at least as far as I’ve read, which is admittedly not much).
I’m pretty sure that being gay is not as openly accepted in Japan as it is here, so I’m doing my best not to be too bothered by the people’s reactions when Ao states his feelings. It’s also partly why I enjoy his blatant, straight-face statements, too, because most people don’t go around telling everyone.
I really felt for Ao in this volume, because of what happened with Ryo. It was a little heartbreaking, seeing his reaction and understanding how he was feeling. The poor guy.
At this point I’m really just waiting for Ryo to just accept it, but I do understand why he’s denying it so much. Also, I like the extra chapter at the back, and how it kind of gives a little more insight/background to Ryo. I’m also still hoping for more sexy stuff.
I’m enjoying the other characters a lot, too, surprisingly. Shuji is probably my favorite, how he pushes Ryo and listens to Ao, and just his general personality. His daughter, Chii, is adorable, too, and I love their relationship. They’re quite possibly my favorite characters/relationship in this series thus far. (Also, Shuji looks like Kento from Kimi ni Todoke, doesn’t he? Shaggy hair and droopy eyes?)
There’s a whole group of characters and their interactions with each other, like Ryo’s family, and I love that. They all just seem so warm and friendly and close; it’s sweet.
We met Aka, Ao’s twin brother, who is going to be causing problems. I’m still expecting something to happen with Shunpei, Ao’s friend, but am starting to wonder if maybe nothing will. 
I’m looking forward to the next book, to seeing where the story progresses from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment