Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Manga Review: Nisekoi: False Love, Volume 5, by Naoshi Komi



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shonen Jump (VIZ Media)
Release Date: September 2014
Volumes: 14+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 4. 6.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Love triangle! Comedic antics!! Gang warfare?! You won't want to miss out on Weekly Shonen Jump's laugh-out-loud feel-good manga series!

It's hate at first sight when Raku Ichijo first meets Chitoge Kirisaki. But much to their chagrin, the two are forced into a false love relationship to keep the peace between their feuding gangster families. Meanwhile, Raku's still hung up over the girl he made a promise with ten years ago, keeping a pendant around his neck as a memento. The girl, in turn, holds the key that opens the pendant. To Raku's surprise, he discovers three girls have keys from a promise they also made ten years ago: Chitoge, his current crush Onodera, and the police chief's daughter Marika!

Review:

I think this is the best harem series I’ve read or watched thus far. Which means that most others I read or watch will be held up to this one, and is unlikely to beat it. If asked to recommend a harem, this will be the one I go to. It’s just that good.
So this volume is full of lots of more gang antics. Ichijo meets Marika’s daughter, he helps out Onodera at her family’s sweets shop, there’s a study session including a lie detector machine, Ichijo and Chitoge find a lost puppy, there’s a festival, and then they go to the beach, leaving a surprising cliffhanger. All the while, there’s the lock-and-key problem, and now all of the people involved know that they’re all involved. But since Ichijo’s lock is still getting fixed, there is no other progress on that front.
I’m now a fan of Marika. Her accent won me over--apparently I'm that easy. I’m not in favor of her for Ichijo, I don’t think, but I do like her as a character. I understand her more, and I like her now. I like all of the characters at this point, which is impressive. It’s awesome, even.
I think the more I read of this series, the more I love it, and the higher it moves on my to-buy list. I’m excited for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment