Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Manga Review: Phantom Thief Jeanne, Volume 5, by Arina Tanemura




Rating (Out of 5): ~4.5
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: November 4, 2014
Volumes: 5
Spoilers?: No.
Re-readable?: Yes.
Volume: 1. 4.
Add on Goodreads.

VIZ Media Synopsis:

The Demon Lord takes Chiaki hostage and challenges Maron to a battle of life or death. But rather than fight her himself, the Demon Lord has selected another to be his champion. Can Maron find the strength to fight alone against her only remaining ally?

Review:

The ending of this series was just as good as I remember it. Maybe even better, actually, since I’m older now and can enjoy parts of the story now with better understanding.
The Adam and Eve/Jeanne d’Arc storyline ends very sweetly. The final battle is brilliant, especially the way it shows how much Maron has grown. I could fangirl over Maron and Chiaki for a while, because they are one of my favorite Tanemura couples and they are so very cute, but I also want to mention Maron and Miyako. Their friendship is strong and a very important bond to Maron; it’s about as important to her as her and Chiaki’s. I love that the friendship is given as much importance as the romance. Her relationship with her parents, as well, is sometimes pushed to the side because of their absence, but it comes full force here as well.
The side romances are just as powerful, too. Miyako and Minazuke are super cute, and Access and Finn I love as much as Maron and Chiaki, if not even more. Access and Finn are tragic, and their ending makes me extremely happy.
I’ve always loved Tanemura’s artwork, and I think it has gotten more smooth in her newer series, but it’s just as beautiful here. I had to mention that one more time here, because I love her art so much, and I caught myself admiring it a few times while reading.
Her storytelling is just as good, and it’s nice that all of the characters are rounded and given their own stories, including minor characters.
There are a handful of extra stories at the end, including three new ones not in the previous licensing. And I will say that those stories are worth buying this beautiful book alone. If you love the characters, especially Access and Finn, then you need to read those stories. They are worth it, and such a nice added conclusion.
I don’t think I can recommend this series highly enough. It’s beautiful, engaging, with the best ending for everyone. I love it so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment