Pages

Friday, May 2, 2014

Novel Review: Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) by Kasie West



Rating (Out of 5): ~4-4.5
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen (HarperCollins)
Release Date: February, 2013
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

The Cover:

I rather like the cover on this book. It's pretty, I like how it resembles the book. It's simple but eye-catching.

Quotes:

  • "'Sometimes perfection reveals the lie, Addie, not the truth.’” (Paperback, pg. 57)
  • "'Because illusion is an illusion. Reality always exists despite the façade.’” (Pg. 177)
  • "'Don’t let this fall out. My favorite book is in there.’ ‘You have a favorite? Isn’t that like picking a favorite child? Aren’t the other books jealous? You’re an awful book mother.’ I smile at her. ‘It’s my favorite for the day.’” (from the extra at the back, pg. 7)

Review:

It has taken me a very long time to get this book. It’s been on my list ever since it came out, and I’ve heard a lot of good things about it, but I still didn’t get it till now. I loved her second book, The Distance Between Us. And similarly to that one, I read this in a day and a half. And it was so good.
I wasn’t too sure at first, but I was very quickly really enjoying myself. The book just breezed by, and I was having a hard time putting it down.
For a short while, I was afraid that it was going to be similar to Just Like Fate, of which I was not a very big fan of the ending. So I was very happy with the differences.
I really liked Addie. She’s a reader, and she’s upset about what’s happening, but she’s not horribly angsty over it. She’s realistic, she likes playing it safe. She’s sarcastic. I really liked her as a character, and related quite a lot to her.
I found the whole concept very interesting. How she lives in a compound where everyone has a power, and they’re separated and hidden from the normal people. At first I wasn’t sure, and there wasn’t a whole lot of explaining, but it was an easy concept to follow. And I liked how it developed, how it was built.
I wasn’t sure how the chapters were going to be separated, from her staying or her going, but I really liked how it was done. It took me a chapter or two, but I really liked it--the use of dictionary definitions.
Before I get to the romance, I have to comment on the balance between romance and other relationships. There was a lot of focus on the romantic interests, but there was also a lot of focus on Addie’s friend Laila, and her parents, as well as some on the other minor characters. It was really smooth, too, which I really liked. It was just natural for Addie to be with the boy and think about her friends, or just be with her parents or Laila. It was seamless, and I appreciated that.
I liked Laila, too. I know she plays an even bigger part in the next book, so I’m looking forward to that. I really liked Addie’s parents. Her mother I’m a little iffy on, but I understand why she is the way she is. And I really just liked her dad, and enjoyed their relationship.
Now, the boys. There’s Duke, who I was iffy on for quite a while. I’m not going to go into depth on that, though, because spoilers. But I did not like what him and his friends were doing, and I’m curious if that’s going to go somewhere in the next book.
I really, really liked Trevor, though. He’s a sweetheart, and he’s funny, and he gets along really well with Addie. They clicked really easily. Also, I really liked his family; his mom seemed sweet, and his brother was adorable. I also really liked his friend Rowan. 
The ending. I really liked the direction it went, but I also really dislike the cliffhanger. It leaves such a blank, because of the path she chose. It was obviously the one needed, but it means there’s so much to happen in the next book. I cannot wait to get my hands on it. It was definitely moved high on my list, and I hope to get it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment