Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Manga Review: A Devil and Her Love Song, Volume 13, by Miyoshi Tomori



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: February, 2014
Volumes: 13
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 12.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Meet Maria Kawai—she’s gorgeous and whip-smart, a girl who seems to have it all. But when she unleashes her sharp tongue, it’s no wonder some consider her to be the very devil! Maria’s difficult ways even get her kicked out of an elite school, but this particular fall may actually turn out to be her saving grace...

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for teen audiences.

What Will I Miss?:

  • Definitely the characters. I loved them all, the way they grew on their own and together in their relationships.
  • The way the story was crafted, the surprises and the most memorable scenes, subtle and thoughtful and beautiful and funny. 
  • I will also miss the art. It took a little getting used to at first, but particularly the way Maria is drawn, with a somewhat chibi cheeked face, is very charming. And some panels, some scenes, are just beautiful.

Review:

I wasn’t really sure how this was going to end, and am rather happy with how it happened.
There were several chapters dedicated to each character, and those weren’t very long, but they were very good. They secured some of the feelings each character had, and I really liked that. Friendship was a main theme through them, and I really liked the focus on that. On how Maria and her friendships with the girls, as well as the boys, without the romance, is important, too.
I think maybe I would have liked something a little more definite at the end, but I do really like how everything was handled. It really secured Maria as being one of my favorite heroines.
It’s been a point for most of this series that Maria should be happy and confident with herself, that she needs to love herself above and at the same time as loving other people. In my opinion, this idea doesn’t show up enough in books or life. But it’s one of my absolute favorites, and Maria does it perfectly here.
Her decision at the end is for herself, because she will be happiest with herself by choosing it, even if it isn’t for the guy she loves. She’s just so mature in choosing it, and I’m so happy with that.
Then there’s Yusuke. I still love him, and he’s still just the sweetest guy. I feel a little bad for him, but fully believe that he’s going to be all right. He’ll figure things out. And him and his friends will have a great time as they continue to grow up.
This was a very, very good series. I loved the characters, how they progressed, and where they all were by the end. The conclusion was very satisfying to me, even if I think I would have liked more, although I don’t know what more would have been. I’m really happy with it, though.
Also, I just want to note that I hope VIZ picks up another series by Tomori. I absolutely love this series, and would love to read something else of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment