Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Manga Review: Midnight Secretary, Volume 4, by Tomu Ohmi



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: March 2014
Volumes: 7
Spoilers?: Some.
Volume: 1. 3. 5.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Kaya thought she had found the perfect job when she became the private secretary of Kyouhei Touma - the director of a tableware company of the same name. Kyouhei is a capable director, but his arrogance and sluttish behavior are almost legendary. Kaya is doing her best to prove that she is capable in her work, but one night, by accident, she discovers his secret... of him being a vampire!

Review:

I really, really want to like this series. I did at first. But at this point my interest in it is just dwindling, sadly.
I think maybe I’m just not caring for the characters. Or maybe it’s that the plot progression, or at least the romance progression, hasn’t really advanced much. Maybe it’s even that the series is taking itself so seriously, and yet nothing has really moved forward much yet.
A second guy took an active interest in Kaya in this volume, but Kaya turned him down. I do like that Kaya doesn’t dawdle much—she makes up her mind and is honest about it, most of the time. Then we got some personal info on Kyohei, kind of.
There was one point in the volume, though, where Kyohei pissed me off. He practically called Kaya a prostitute, and it got her mad in that scene, but later they just seemed to ignore it. He was just such an asshole about it, a few times throughout the volume, and I just think Kaya isn’t doing enough about it. She just lets it slide by, and I really don’t think she should. It got me a little mad at one point. And really made me want to smack Kyohei.
I will be reading the next volume, and probably seeing the series through to the end, but I’m just not enjoying it as much as I would like, sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment