Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

Manga Review: Ceres: Celestial Legend, Volume 14, by Yuu Watase



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Shojo (VIZ Media)
Release Date: 2006
Volumes: 14
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 5.

Goodreads Synopsis:

On Aya MIkage's 16th birthday, what she thought was a normal celebration turns into a real-nightmare when her own family attempts to kikk her and imprisons her twin brother Aki. Aya learns that she possesses the blood of the tannyo(celestial maiden), and has the power to transform her into the mysterious and powerful Ceres. Now, with her parents dead and her life completely upended, Aya must find the courge to forge ahead snd stop her family's greedy quest for power.

What Will I Miss?:

  • I will miss the surprises. The ending in particular was not quite what I was expecting, and I liked that.
  • I'll miss her storytelling, particularly since I know she gets better at it later on.
  • Maybe the art. It's pretty, nice to look at.

Review:

This was a rather weak series of Watase’s, which is a bit disappointing.
I didn’t ever really connect with any of the characters, or grow all that attached, sadly. I wanted to, but it never happened. The story was interesting, though, and got better near the end, as did the humor (or I just got used to it). The ending was a bit surprising, and I liked that. Although the ending for Aya and Toya, and Yuhi, did not really satisfy me. Although, if I’m not wrong, something similar happened with the main characters in Absolute Boyfriend, and I didn’t really like it there, either. That kind of upsets me, but oh well.
This series just didn’t turn out as good as I thought it would, but I know that it’s an earlier series of Watase’s, and I know that she’s written better ones.
Now I just hope to get some of her other series published over here, particularly Fushigi Yugi and Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden (which I have read some of and really enjoyed), and I’ll probably try to catch up on Arata, since I was enjoying that series, and am quite a bit behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment