Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

Manga Review: The Story of Saiunkoku, Volume 4, by Kairi Yura and Sai Yukino



Rating (Out of 5): ~3
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: 2011
Volumes: 9
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 3. 5.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Shurei Hong, destitute but of noble birth, has always dreamed of working as a civil servant in the Imperial court of Saiunkoku, but women are barred from holding office. The emperor Ryuki, however, refuses to take command, leaving everything to his advisers. Shurei is asked to become a consort to the emperor to persuade the ne'er-do-well ruler to govern.

Shurei has been disguising herself as a boy to assist Kijin Ko, the esteemed Minister of the Treasury. Despite Ryuki's plan to allow females to take the civil service exam, many remain opposed to the idea, including Kijin. Will Shurei be able to convince the discerning minister to change his mind?

Review:

I really want to like this series, but I think I’m giving it an indefinite pause for now.
It’s interesting. The characters are fun: I like Shurei, she’s smart and feisty. Ryuki is my favorite; he’s adorable and sweet and I love how he talks. There’s a bunch of other characters that intrigue me as well. The plot is interesting: I like the attraction between Shurei and Ryuki, and Seiran and Shurei, and their pasts. I really find where Shurei is going interesting, workwise, and how the characters are trying to help her step up the ladder. The art’s pretty. The story is funny, as well as serious.
I think I’m just not a big fan of the slow progress, or the long explanations, or the general historical aspect. As I said, I really want to like this series, and maybe I’ll give it another try later, but for now I think I’m done. It’s not keeping my interest, I’m finding reading it a bit boring. It’s just not for me, I don’t think.

No comments:

Post a Comment