Pages

Friday, May 9, 2014

Novel Review: The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White



Rating (Out of 5): ~4
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen (HarperCollins)
Release Date: September, 2013
Spoilers?: No.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up.

Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal.

Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all.

The Cover:

I love the cover. It's beautiful. The colors are warm and eye-catching, the design is intricate; it looks simple but detailed and just lovely. It fits the book perfectly, as well.

Quote:

  • "'I didn’t fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we’d choose anyway. And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.’” (Hardback, pg. 258) YES.

Review:

I really, really enjoyed this book. I don’t think it had quite as much oomph as White’s other books have had, but I still really liked it, and found it a bit adorable. It was definitely an easy read.
I also really liked the ideas about family, and mortality versus immortality, and destiny. I agreed with a lot of it, and I enjoyed seeing it being portrayed like it was, and how it pushed Isadora.
I liked Isadora. She was fun to be in the head of, if a little angsty. I enjoyed seeing her relationship with her family grow, and how that progressed. As well as how she grew as a person. I liked her relationship with her friends, too, and with Ry.
I thought her and Ry’s relationship was quite adorable, and just really sweet. They were very cute. I liked Ry as a person, too, and enjoyed his similarities to Isadora (which were easy to guess, but I’m not going to spoil).
The ending was very nice. A bit surprising, too, and I like how it all wrapped up at the end. 
Overall, this one wasn’t quite as intense as her others, and I don’t have much to say about it, but it was still very enjoyable, fast, and cute. I enjoyed it, and I’m looking forward to White’s next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment