Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Manga Review: Voice Over!: Seiyu Academy, Volume 3, by Maki Minami



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5-4
Publisher: Shojo Beat (VIZ Media)
Release Date: February, 2014
Volumes: 12
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 2. 4.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Hime Kino's dream is to one day do voice acting like her hero Sakura Aoyama from the Lovely Blazer anime, and getting accepted to the prestigious Holly Academy's voice actor department is the first step in the right direction! But Hime's gruff voice has earned her the scorn of teachers and students alike. Hime will not let that stand unchallenged. She'll show everyone that she is too a voice acting princess, whether they like it or not!!

Hime just got her first big break in voice acting, but it means she has to move out of her house and pretend to be a boy! Her new manager, Yamada, is willing to put in the extra time to train her personally, and Hime's hope of being a voice actor seems close to being fulfilled. But Yamada insists that he'll only use her for male characters. Will she have to give up on Lovely Blazer to see her dream come true?

Reads R to L (Japanese Style) for teen audiences.

Review:

So, there was a lot of Kudo in this volume. And, honestly, that makes me really happy. Sometimes, at school, he’s a big jerk. But then Hime meets him while pretending to be a boy, and he’s a whole new person. And I kind of love him. I just want to get to know him better, and I’m surprised by how strongly my feelings for him already are. (But, I mean, he has a hoard of stray cats. How could I resist that?)
We also got to know the Aqua boys, Mizuki and Shu, a lot better. Hime spent a lot of time training with them. She’s still having problems getting her voice under control, of which her manager is not happy. Shu is violent but kind of entertaining, and protective of Mizuki; Mizuki is more quiet, but still hurt over something from his past.
I’m enjoying getting to know the other boys, and intrigued by where the romance is going. I’m enjoying the voice acting side of things, as well as Hime’s family problems. I like seeing Hime work to get better with her voice, and I hope that she actually does progress with that. I like Kudo, as I’ve said. I’m enjoying the other character and relationship development. I’m looking forward to reading the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment