Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Manga Review: Inu x Boku SS, Volume 3, by Cocoa Fujiwara



Rating (Out of 5): ~4.5
Publisher: Yen Press
Release Date: April 22, 2014
Volumes: 10+
Spoilers?: Some.
Volume: 1. 2. 4.

Goodreads Synopsis:

The residents of Ayakashi Hall decide to make a time capsule and bury it on the grounds, so everyone writes letters to their "future selves" to be included within. As Ririchiyo composes her letter, she reflects on her time with Soushi, realizing how much she has grown with the fox at her side. But when those heartfelt feelings are accidentally delivered not to her future self but to Soushi, Ririchiyo's budding social skills will be put to the test! Is she ready for a face-to-face confession of her true feelings?!
Review:

“There’s no solid evidence or binding power like there is with a romantic partner. Friendship is hard.”

This series just makes me smile. And laugh. It’s absolutely one of my favorites now, an automatic buy, one that I get excited about reading. And one that I could probably re-read several times and still laugh about.
The romance took a very nice turn in this volume—a huge step forward. There was a moment where Ririchiyo could have stereotypically chickened out, but instead she took the leap forward. And I am so very happy that she did that. It impresses me, and it makes me so very happy about everything going forward. The best parts of a romance, as far as I’m concerned, always seem to happen after the relationship starts.
I love Ririchiyo and Soushi. They are absolutely adorable and hiliarious together. Plus, the ways that Ririchiyo are good for Soushi (and vice versa) are so very good. I love how she realized what her feelings would mean to Soushi, and why she took the step forward. That’s so huge. It makes me so happy.
There aren’t many graphic scenes between them, during or after the big scene, but there are a lot of hints and touches. Just that makes me infinitely happy. And Soushi is so adorable with her. Also, their height differences, and how tiny Ririchiyo is compared to Soushi (like when he picks her up and holds her) is just so freakin' adorable. I love it.
I also really like Ririchiyo and Roromiya’s relationship. Their friendship is so nice, Roromiya handles her so straightforwardly, and so easily. It’s nice to see Ririchiyo growing in that way, as well.
Next there’s Roromiya and Watanuki. They are absolutely adorable. And Roromiya is still quite possibly my favorite character. I just love her—she steals every scene that she’s in. The romance between the two is still budding, and I’m really excited to see it bloom. Watanuki is just so sweet with her, so shy. Roromiya pushes him in just the right way. We got a whole chapter to them, and it was so sweet.
I absolutely love the humor in this series. It just has me laughing and grinning through the whole volume. There are a lot of little one-shot pages, and pranks, and just plain the characters bantering and playing with each other. Plus, how the humor mixes so smoothly with the serious scenes and the serious messages. It’s so well-done. For instance, several times throughout the volume, there were hints of something to come, which I’m assuming is in the next volume. I’m really intrigued by that. 
I’m in love with this series, and I cannot wait to get my hands on the next volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment