Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Manga Review: Sankarea: Undying Love, Volume 3, by Mitsuru Hattori



Rating (Out of 5): ~3.5
Publisher: Kodansha Comics
Release Date: October, 2013
Volumes: 10+
Spoilers?: No.
Volume: 1. 2. 4.

Goodreads Synopsis:

FEAR THE FOREIGNER!

Rea's just gotten permission to live with Chihiro and return to school, when a strange blonde woman arrives at the house! This isn't just some confused tourist, though-- she knows all about the reanimation potion, and Grandpa is terrified of her... Could she be a threat to Rea?

Review:

This series is moving in a very interesting direction. One that has me surprised, and guessing. I took a small break from it, but I think I’m going to try to catch up now. I’m enjoying it so far.
We meet a new character in this volume, and she’s worked with Chihiro’s grandfather (who does not want to see her) on zombies in the past. At first she made me wary, and still does a little, because her intentions with Rea are questionable, but it actually seems like her and Rea might form a friendship. One that could be good for both of them. Rea doesn’t have a lot of friends, and she’s really only attached to Chihiro right now. She needs a friend. She also needs to learn how to deal with her zombie state.
I like Rea, and we got to see a new side of her in this volume. She’s still developing, and revealing herself as a character, learning about her problems, as well as growing as a person.
We also got to see some development for Mero, Chihiro’s little sister, who is just great. She’s so straightforward, and mature. There was a scene with her in this volume that has me really intrigued. We also saw some of Wanko, Chihiro’s cousin, who for some reason I am just not a very big fan of.
I’m mostly really interested in Rea’s zombie situation. I love the way it’s being used, how it’s developing, the problems that are coming up. There are some serious bad things coming up, being hinted at—it has me extremely interested.
I look forward to reading the next volume, and seeing where it goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment